After I knit up a quick beret for my step-mom’s November birthday (not posted), I got back to my Christmas projects. This was my next one.
The following is a hat that I thought would be below budget, but ended up going over. My gauge was correct, but I used nearly double the yarn that the pattern called for. Why? I think I know the culprit. On Ravelry, the pattern called for 110 yards. In the actual pattern directions, it called for 2 skeins of 110 yards. Me, being the smarty that I am, only read the Ravelry pattern page to start out. My bad. In the end, I was lucky enough that my LYS actually had another skein left in the correct colorway.
Anyway, the hat is being modeled by my boyfriend, Alex, who has a much larger head than his father, who I’m sure it will fit better. It knit up in a very thick fabric due to it being heavy worsted/bulky weight yarn, in addition to being held double-stranded. The color is hard to describe. It is brownish- but with hints of green and orange. These aren’t flecks of yarn, per se, but just “hints.” The brim has minimal cabling and would be good for a beginner.
Made for: Steve White
Relationship: Boyfriend’s (Alex) Dad
Pattern: Louche Cap by Staceyjoy Elkin
Yarn Used: Berroco Voyage
Above or below budget: Above